1. Beetroots 250 gms
2. Milk 1 cup (125ml)
3. Sugar ¾ cup
4. Ghee 2 tbsps
5. Almonds 7-8
6. Cardamom powder ½ tsp
1. Wash, skin and grate the beetroots and keep aside.
2. Soak the almonds in hot water for about 10-15 mins. Then, peel off the skin and cut the almonds lengthwise and keep aside.
3. In a non-stick kadai/wok, add milk, grated beetroot and almonds pieces (keep a few for garnishing) and boil it on medium flame till the beetroots are cooked.
4. Then add sugar and on a medium flame, stir continuously till the mixture becomes semi-solid.
5. Next add ghee and stir as before till the halwa leaves the sides of the vessel.
6. Add cardamom powder, mix well and remove from flame.
7. Garnish with almond pieces. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe by Nutan Shenoy-Kini